Jan 2, 2012

Family Traditions

Our holidays were really nice. The one tradition is to spend Christmas Eve at G/G Verbeke's home. Most the kids are grown or almost grown and were reminiscing about the "quirks" of parents and grandparents that only a family can relate to after growing up in the same family, with the same traditions year after year. It was one of the nicest holidays there.

My beautiful, wonderful mom passed 7 years ago at the young age of 58. The "tradition" on my side of the family was to meet on Christmas day to celebrate. With her passing, so did this tradition. Now it's custom to meet in our home to share a meal and be together. It doesn't seem the same, our grown children have other places they need to be, the grandkids have different grandparents they need to see, and the closeness isn't the same with everyone's busy lives.

I enjoyed the chaos of unwrapping, sharing the meal, and most of all giving thanks to God for my family. But I have a confession, I also kept thinking about a child, our child, out there and what they were doing this holiday, I wondered if their foster family or orphanage celebrated Christmas, if they received a gift, my mind just wandered and I pray that the 2012 Christmas they will be starting a family tradition in our home.

We spent New Year's Eve with close friends, chatting the night away, playing Apples to Apples with the 2 kids there, our grandson and his friend. It was actually the 3rd year we have celebrated New Year's. In years past we were always the parents at home with our kids and whoever wanted to have their kids at our house, it was fun and I'm looking forward to that in 2013.

Carmen got to have a small party of 5 at our house, which was right down the road from where we were. Richie was with us & I'll post his pics later too. Our kids were they only ones in pajamas for the evening, everyone else was dressed up. We could hardly wait to leave it was SO noisy with 2-13 yr. olds & 3-12 yr. olds!
The Party Girls
Happy New Year 2012, may everyone have a blessed year.

Francine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote

Quote